The sweet kind. The kind you can’t stop eating so you make some more. And then you eat all that too!
Line an 11×17 baking sheet with foil and then spray with cooking spray, just to be absolutely sure nothing sticks.
Cover the foil from edge to edge with a package of saltine crackers.
Make sure you have two packages on hand just in case this happens to you too…
Over medium heat, stir together butter and brown sugar until it starts to boil.
When it begins to boil, set a timer for 3 minutes and let it continue to boil.
After 3 minutes, remove it from the heat and add in 1/2 tsp vanilla and just a pinch of sea salt. If you are not sure what a pinch is, you can pick up these handy measuring spoons like we have.
Pour the mixture over the crackers and spread it all over with a spatula. Pop the baking sheet in the oven for 15 minutes. Check every few minutes to make sure it’s not darkening and burning. Turn the heat down if you notice anything like that.
When you take it out, immediately pour the chocolate chips over top. Let them sit for 5 minutes to give them time to melt. We used a mixture of milk chocolate and semi-sweet chips.
When those 5 minutes are up, spread the chocolate over the crackers.
Then sprinkle with sea salt.
Let it cool completely and then “crack” it into pieces.
- 1 package saltine crackers
- 1 cup (2 sticks) of butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- a pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups chocolate chips (we used a mixture of milk chocolate and white chocolate)
- extra sea salt for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350. Line an 11 x 17 baking sheet with foil and then spray with cooking spray. Cover with saltines. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine butter and brown sugar. Cook over medium heat until boiling. Continue to boil for an additional 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and mix in vanilla and a pinch of sea salt. Pour over crackers and spread evenly with a spatula.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Turn down heat if you notice darkening or burning.
- Remove from oven and cover with chocolate chips. Let stand for 5 minutes to allow chips time to melt.
- Using a spatula, spread chocolate evenly over crackers all the way to edges. Sprinkle sea salt over the chocolate. Let cool.
- When cool completely, break into pieces.