Jalapeño popper mac and cheese is so amazing. We took the basics of jalapeño poppers (jalapeños and cream cheese) and added them to a basic mac n cheese dish. It’s a winning combo.
Mac and cheese can be difficult to make at home so often people resort to the boxed variety. This recipe is creamy not only when you make it but even after being reheated from the refrigerator. It’s amazing.
We serve it with toasted garlic breadcrumbs which adds a nice crunchy texture. You could skip that though and just stick to the creamy goodness. The addition of cream cheese makes this dish rich and over the top yummy. You will love it!
- 8 oz dry pasta, any shape
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- pinch of salt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, minced
- 6 oz cream cheese, cut into 1" cubes
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup Monterey jack cheese
- 1 tsp chili powder
- salt& pepper, to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- TO make breadcrumbs, heat canola oil in a small, nonstick skillet and add breadcrumbs and minced garlic. Stir frequently until breadcrumbs begin to brown and garlic is fragrant. Add a pinch of salt, remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add jalapeno peppers and cook for 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 additional minute.
- Reduce heat to medium and add cream cheese to onion mixture; stir until melted. Add milk slowly, stirring until well combined.
- Add cheese and chili powder. Stir until melted and smooth.
- Remove from heat and add cooked pasta. Toss until combined. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with garlic breadcrumbs.