I can’t believe I’m just now making jalapeno cheese bread. I buy it almost everytime I see it. One time, at the OC Marketplace, I bought 2 loaves and 2 big bags of jalapeno cheese bread sticks and I ate it all…by myself. I might have been pregnant at the time but, still, that’s insane. It wasn’t all in one day though. I paced myself. I really, really love this stuff.
My mom used to buy it when I lived at home and it was always like a special treat. I found this recipe and it looked easy, which is right up my alley, and ooey gooey cheesy. It makes two loaves and it’s done in a little over 3 hours, about 15 minutes of which you are actually doing work. I think next time I make this, I’ll shape half the dough into bread sticks. This bread is delicious! It has cheese oozing out of every inch and bits of jalapeno in nearly every bite. New idea….it would be so great for a sandwich!
- 2 packets dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar + 1 Tbsp
- 1 cup warm water
- 4 cups flour, plus more as needed
- 3 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg, room temp
- 1 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, cubed or shredded
- 1 egg white
- 2 tsp water
- Sprinkle yeast over warm water with 1 teaspoon of sugar and let proof for 10 minutes, will appear foamy. While yeast is proofing, heat milk in the microwave for 45 seconds on high.
- In a large bowl, add flour, jalapenos, salt, 1 Tbsp sugar, egg and warmed milk. After the yeast has proofed, add mixture to the bowl and start kneading dough mixture. If using a stand mixer with the dough hook attachment, mix on lowest speed.
- Continue to knead the dough for 8 to 10 minutes on a lightly floured surface or in your stand mixer, adding flour as needed to create a smooth, tacky not sticky dough. Add the cheese and mix in.
- Cover with a kitchen towel and let rest for 10 minutes. Knead again for 30 seconds and place in a well greased bowl in a warm spot to let rise until doubled in size, about 1 to 2 hours (depending on how warm).
- Punch dough down and cut in half. Place in two greased bread pans, cover with a towel again and let rise until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Mix egg white and 2 tsp water in a small bowl. Brush tops of bread dough with egg mixture. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. (You may add a little shredded cheddar cheese on top during the last 10 minutes of baking.)
- Let cool for 15 minutes before removing from pans.