If you love chocolate covered strawberries then I just know you will love this chocolate covered strawberry ice cream. It’s the perfect blend of fresh strawberries and chocolate bits wrapped up in a smooth, delicious homemade ice cream.
Making ice cream is kind of a favorite pastime of mine. When we would go camping as kids, my grandma would always set us up with our very own ice cream making station on the campsite table; coffee can, ice, salt, sugar, milk, cream and duct tape. My brother, my cousins and I would take turns rolling the can back and forth for what seemed like hours. It was the best ice cream! I don’t have the time or the patience to do it that way at home these days but I still think homemade ice cream is the best!
This chocolate covered strawberry ice cream is no exception. It tastes like chocolate covered strawberries dipped in vanilla ice cream. I think it’s my best ice cream concoction so far. To die for….
You don’t want to completely puree the strawberries until it’s smooth. Small bits of fruit and liquid is what we are looking for here.
- 1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries, trimmed
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips, chopped into small bits
- Put the strawberries in the bowl of a food processor and puree (you will want some small chunks still). Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together heavy cream, milk, sugar, vanilla and salt until well combined. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until well chilled.
- Add pureed strawberries and mix to combine. Pour mixture into the freezer bowl of an ice cream maker and let mix until thickened, about 15-20 minutes.
- While ice cream maker is still on, slowly add chocolate chips and let ice cream mix for an additional 5 minutes. Ice cream will have a soft-serve like texture at this point and will harden upon freezing. Transfer to an airtight freezer container to store.
- Makes about 1.25 quarts.