This recipe is so easy yet it looks so fancy. Also, it’s very tasty!
Start by pounding your chicken breasts until they are even. They should look a little something like this.
Then sprinkle with salt and pepper and start adding your layers, starting with prosciutto.
Then add the asparagus and mozzarella and start rolling starting at one long end. Secure with a toothpick, skewer or in our case…a cake pop stick. Don’t judge, it worked!
Add the olive oil to a skillet and heat over high heat. Add the chicken…
After both sides of the chicken are browned, add the chicken broth and lemon juice. Scrape the browned bits off the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
Transfer the chicken to a platter. Simmer the cooking liquid over high heat until it is reduced to about 2/3 cup, about 5 minutes. Season the cooking liquid with salt and pepper, to taste. Drizzle the reduced cooking liquid over the chicken and serve!
Serve with angel hair pasta, garlic bread and a salad. Your hunny will think you slaved over this meal for hours!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded to evenly flatten
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 paper-thin slices prosciutto
- 6 asparagus sprigs, rinsed and seasoned with salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 (14-ounce) can low-salt chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Pound chicken until flat and even. Place the tenderized chicken breasts flat on the work surface. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Lay 1 or 2 slices of prosciutto on top of each chicken breast. Arrange 3 peices of asparagus per chicken breast opposite of how the chicken is laying. So if the chicken is longest going horizontal, the asparagus should go vertical. Sprinkle the mozzarella over the chicken on top of prosciutto and asparagus.
- Beginning at one end , roll up each chicken breast like a jellyroll. Make sure to start rolling long ways. Secure with a toothpick.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a heavy, large skillet over high heat. Add the chicken and cook just until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side.
- After both sides of chicken are browned, add the chicken broth and lemon juice, and scrape the browned bits off the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Bring the liquid to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Cover and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 10 to 14 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a platter.
- Simmer the cooking liquid over high heat until it is reduced to about 2/3 cup, about 5 minutes. Season the cooking liquid with salt and pepper, to taste. Drizzle the reduced cooking liquid over the chicken and serve immediately.