I made these banana oat muffins for the first time and they disappeared fast! The recipe makes 12 and within the first couple hours, I only had 5 left. I had one and the girls devoured the rest. I don’t normally let them stuff their faces with muffins for breakfast but I didn’t feel too bad about these banana oat muffins.
I cut out a lot of the fat by replacing the butter and most of the oil with applesauce. The recipe also calls for whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour and bananas and oats which, of course, are good for you. They come out of the oven nice and moist, and with the addition of some spices, full of flavor!
This were such a hit with the kiddos that I made them again the following week and they disappeared just as fast so I knew it wasn’t just a fluke. They really love these banana oat muffins. I know you will love them too because, although they have healthier ingredients, they are still sweet and moist and taste great. Who doesn’t love a warm muffin in the morning?
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, plus more for sprinkling tops (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 3 tsp canola oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray muffin pan with cooking spray or use muffin/cupcake liners; set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Add oil, applesauce and beaten eggs and mix well. In a small bowl, mash bananas, a few chunks are okay. Add bananas and oats to mixture and stir until well combined.
- Fill muffin cups with batter, stopping just short of the top, leaving about 1/4 - 1/8 inch. Sprinkle tops with a little bit of brown sugar if you'd like. Bake for about 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Remove from muffin pan and cool on wire racks.
- Mine stick to the paper liners when they are still warm. I let them cool completely (an hour or 2) and they peel off nicely.